So we are 9 months into 2018. Summer is over, autumn is fast approaching and the days are getting shorter. It’s time to go back into work mode. It’s a routine that started in childhood. Back to school, back to work. Do you need a change?
How will your year end?
September is a transition month, everyone starts to focus a little more at work and the pressure starts to build as we begin the end half of the year. Pressure to end that year with achievements and moments we are proud of. Goals achieved and new goals set.
But what if you’ve not achieved what you want this year? What if it’s been a difficult year, full of rejection, bad news, struggles and hard days. How are you supposed to feel in September? As the end of the year fast approaches, it can also trigger feelings of doubt and disappointment. Almost like its too late to change this year’s outcome.
I will start by saying I can totally relate to those feelings. Iv had good years and bad years. Rubbish moments and fabulous moments. But the main thing I take from it all, which sounds super cliche but its true. These moments make you stronger, wiser and also teach you a hell of a lot. They shape who we are as people. And guess what…you made it through! Your still here bigger and better than before.
You’re not alone | Make a change
While we have these feelings, it can be easy to feel alone and isolated. Looking at everyone else’s highlight real comparing your own. Confusing and disappointing if you are not where you envisioned. This is the trap we may all fall into unfortunately. With social media being the main attraction of our lives.
So I recently did a poll on my Instagram. Asking you guys
If you could change the way this year is going if you had the chance. Would you? Or are you happy?
I had a crazy response with 582 of you voting change. When I saw the figures I was slightly surprised. But it made me realize we ALL go through these feelings at many different stages in our lives and it’s totally normal. In many ways, it’s actually a good thing. So THANK YOU for being so honest and inspiring me to write this post. Thank you for sharing and also telling the other 582 or however many people that feel a little down over this year. That they are not alone.
Now I can’t change your year, thats now in the past. But I can hopefully inspire you and motivate you to finish this year the best way possible.
In collaboration with professional Life Coach Michelle Thole, who Iv previously worked with and felt a huge difference in my personal and professional life and development. Michelle has wrote her tips to finishing this year on a high.
Michelle Thole – Life Coach| Performance Coach
It’s no surprise that many people would like to change the way the year has gone so far, I see it with my clients all the time. There is something about moving from summer to autumn that brings on reflection and change.
However, don’t despair if your year has been less than perfect. I have practical steps that you can put in place to stop regrets of the past from becoming a trend this time every year, and ways to move forward so you’ll be absolutely unstoppable.
So that’s get started…
Dealing With The Past To Creating An Unstoppable Future and change
- List all things you would love to have changed this year and why. That’s right the good, the bad and the ugly!
- Identify whether the event/situation that you would like to change was out of your control or in your control. For instance, the death of a loved one to cancer is out of your control however leaving a steady job with a good salary to travel the world is in your control.
- Discard the ‘out of your control’ changes and focus on the ‘in my control’ changes
- Ask yourself what would I ACTUALLY like to achieve instead? (Let’s take losing 10 pounds in weight as an example)
- Create five baby steps to help you achieve that. (Join the gym, get a personal trainer, eat vegetable with my main meal etc…)
- Take massive action in the direction that you want to be heading. Like your happiness depends on it (because it does!).
The Practical Step’s To Create An Amazing Life Starting Today
The way to make sure hindsight doesn’t bite you on the proverbial again is by being present, conscious and intentional about your life right now. Here is a three step process to make that happen starting today.
- Stay alert to changes in your life by keeping a journal of your day, how you felt and what you would like to achieve. This journal can be monthly, weekly or daily – I suggest daily. You can get amazing results by filling in this journal as it keeps you in check of the direction of your life and the direction you WANT to be heading instead of feeling like driftwood heading wherever the current takes you.
- Take time out for yourself to reflect each month on what is going well and what you would like to improve on!! Reflection is key to changing and making life great.
- Take massive action in the direction that you would like to be. No point in having this amazing opportunity to change if your standing still waiting for life to come to you.
As the quote goes, In order to have things we’ve never had we have to do things we’ve never done before. So, if you are unhappy with life so far this year it’s time to take massive action. Thats right, it’s time to do that thing, that very thing that has been niggling away at you and you keep pushing aside because to do it would take courage, tenacity and gusto. That’s the thing! You know, the very thing that you should have done in January.
It’s time to listen to that intuition that tells you to talk to that person, or read that book or ask that person out on a date or dump the chump. And start acting on it.
It’s time to step up and become the amazing person with the amazing life that you know you are inside.
It’s time to honour growth and the way that you show up in the world. There is no greater time than the present moment. Because let’s face it, this moment is all you have to make the next part of your life absolutely amazing and making the most of it starts now.
So, what are you going to do with it?
Michelle Thole | Life Coach | Performance Coach | Writer
Your Stronger Than Fear
Photography – Tyler Fayose
Your not alone – Anxiety, dealing with it through everyday life