What is Women’s Empowerment?

What is Women’s Empowerment?

‘Women’s Empowerment is the process in which women elaborate and recreate what it is that they can be, do, and accomplish in a circumstance that they previously were denied’. Wikipedia Reference – pretty accurate but a little vague I would say…

Scrolling through Instagram before bed and I come across a photo of a half-naked model. The very famous model actually Emily Ratajkowski who became famous after posing half-naked in Robin Thicke’s blurred lines video. Her caption read’s ‘I feel women’s empowerment in celebrating and sharing my sexuality. I think my body is beautiful and a lot of different bodies are beautiful’.

I read this caption, agree and feel some what empowered by that statement…go to take a photo in my underwear and put it on social media but do not feel that same sense of empowerment or confidence. Why? Emily Ratajowski feels it so surely I should too?

Why Am I Asking This?

As a woman in her 20’s I see lots of examples of women empowerment. In the media, news, social media. Celebrities and activists, women MP’s, women CEO’s. Lot’s of women demonstrating their empowerment and abilities to do whatever they choose. But I don’t actually know what it is? Or what it mean’s to me? This wasn’t a subject in school that we studied, this is something we have a responsibility to find out about ourselves and be inspired and influenced to make changes ourselves. But also make a choice of what makes us feel empowered and why?

Some Boss Women

So if you’re struggling like I am to understand or be inspired by the women’s empowerment movement. Here’s a list of boss women that you may or may not of heard of. That are all actively making a change for women around the world and have achieved some pretty cool thing’s for women. Click the links to learn more.

• Oprah Winfrey – American Media Executive, actress, woman’s activist and hailed the most influential woman of her generation.
  • The SlumFlower – award-winning blogger and author. Creator of #saggyboobsmatter
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg – Current U.S Supreme Justice and director of the ACLU’s women’s rights project.
  • Tarana Burke – Founder of the #metoo movement which supports survivors of sexual abuse. Senior director of Girls for gender equality.

However, I also see conflicting views of women’s empowerment.

Women tearing each other down, calling each other out and deciding what is women’s empowerment and what is not. Surely that just defeats the whole point of women having the choice, opportunities and the very freedom that men do?

Ask Yourself

Do you support other women or do you judge? Are you out voting for your women MP’s or actively pushing for this empowerment in society to make it easier for the women behind us and so forth. Are you making decisions in your life and career that would impact women in a positive way?

Reality & Facts

• Worldwide Women make 20% less than men and won’t reach pay equity till 2059 if conditions persist. In basic terms, we are paid less because we are a woman or given fewer opportunities in high paying roles …kmt.
  • 1 in 3 women has experienced sexual abuse at some point in their lifetime. Hence the viral tag #metoo – Search it on twitter if you want to understand how real this is.
  • Globally over 750 million women and girls alive today were married before their 18th birthday.
  • Over 150 Countries have at least one activly sexist law – From ‘legitimate rape’ in India to unfair inheritance laws in the UK.

Women are not empowered in society right now. Maybe in 50, 60 year’s that will change but fact’s and figure’s talk volume’s. As women in society with more opportunities then ever we have a responsibility to make a difference and strive for more! It’s very easy to look the other way, live in a bubble and assume this change will happen over night but I don’t think anyone actually believes that.

womans empowerment

If you want equal opportunities, to be able to walk down the street alone on an evening without feeling that your safety is at risk. Or even go into a new job and not have to prove yourself because you are a woman! Then it’s your responsibility to push that change. To strive for more and break down those barriers. Make it your responsibility to go out and make a difference however small that may be.

Self Empowerment and dealing with life like a boss

14 Comments

1. February 18, 2019 / 1:56 pm

Love this! Strength of a woman!

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      February 18, 2019 / 2:52 pm

Yes indeed 💕

2. February 18, 2019 / 10:44 pm

Great post and great topic! I appreciate how you point out what looks and feels like empowerment to one person is not necessarily what looks and feels like empowerment to someone else.

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      February 22, 2019 / 11:41 am

Thank you, totally. We all have different interpretations. It’s just important to recognize and not judge.

3. February 20, 2019 / 10:10 pm

As a man, I am 100% in support of women empowerment. My concern is how often empowerment for one group turns into some form of negative reflections on another group. I would love to see people support the growth and empowerment of each other regardless of gender without anyone feeling threaten.

• February 20, 2019 / 11:01 pm

Reggie, I’m curious to learn more, in what ways does women empowerment threaten someone else? What would woman empowerment look like where no one feels threatened?

• Natalie Rose
        Author
        February 22, 2019 / 11:46 am

Exactly…I’m a little confused also. I don’t see it as threatening. I see it as making our voices heard which we have every right too. x

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      February 22, 2019 / 11:45 am

Totally valid point and I can see why it may seem that way. However, I can assure you it is not a negative reflection on another group. If you look at the #blacklivesmatter. When people say #alllivesmatter it just defeats the whole point in the first place. We are not trying to put another group down. Just trying to have the same rights, opportunities and place in society as men. We may have to shout louder to prove that but if we didn’t would there be any change? I think as a man you should do a little more research on gender equality to fully understand where we are coming from. thanks for commenting though I appreciate your input x

4. March 8, 2019 / 11:59 am

Great post! I have to say I too get so beside myself when I see women attack or put down other women!! We as women need to support and stand by one another, not be against each other! Thanks for this post!

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      March 15, 2019 / 8:44 pm

Exactly!! Thanks for reading. xx

5. March 8, 2019 / 9:31 pm

Celebrating and inspiring the strength of women is super important. I appreciate this post and the message you are sending.

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      March 15, 2019 / 8:45 pm

Thanks so much. It is so important and we need to encourage it more!

6. May 3, 2019 / 3:40 am

I like that you mention finding good role models and examples from around the world who have been examples. This would be a great way to find traits that they have and to learn about what they’ve done so you can find ways to help women’s empowerment. It could also help to find professionals that are knowledgeable about this, such as a women’s empowerment counselor, so you can learn more and find ways to become a part of it so you can gain the traits and skills you see in your chosen role models.

• Natalie Rose
      Author
      May 5, 2019 / 11:43 am

Hey, thanks for your comment. Yes, 100% I agree. Professional help is advised however I know not all of my readers can afford professional help, therefore, I hope to inspire as much as possible for free online.